Saturday, November 08, 2008

Its late, I'm bored, not really wanting to go to bed yet, but REALLY REALLY should.

Oh well.

Its been another really long, really busy week. I had Cantata Singers this week - its a Britten focused season this time around (last season was Weill, this season is Britten) and in the program tonight was also Faure Requiem. Now, it is usually just a violin solo part, but for many personal, academic, and historical reasons which I will not draw out for you at the moment, the decision was made to play it with 8 violins instead of just 1. Initially, this sounds like a terrific disaster (if you know the violin part to Faure Requiem, you know that its only about 30 bars total and 28 of those bars include notes that never go into the staff and are always in nose bleed territory).  Actually, it wasn't all bad, but it was hard to sit there so long without trying to draw attention to yourself. Reminds me of those WLC Christmas concert days, although tonight was about three times as long for sitting still. Ugh.

Hard to believe the 2nd week of November is already upon us. Tomorrow night Molly and I are having a fall potluck party, which was planned quite late so it may end up being under 10 people eating a lot of baked spaghetti, salad, and pumpkin pie, but who cares. Its my first Saturday night at home since before school started. I'm going to love it.

I'm still struggling with tears every time we play or rehearse certain sections of Daphnis. I really really really REALLY don't want to actually weep openly and have people start asking me whats wrong, and then have to say "Oh, I am just living in the past during this section of the piece." That sounds plain silly, so I make myself stay as calm as I can. 

We're also doing John Adams' Fearful Symmetries for this concert, and I LOVE IT. It was written shortly after Nixon in China, so a lot of it has the same quality of sound (electric keyboards with certain programs written just for the piece, etc). I loved Nixon in China when we studied it in music history, so just imagine the blast I'm having with it now. Oh lord.

In all honesty this might be my favorite program I've done at BU yet - I get pretty weepy during the last part of Daphnis BUT the first two parts I've never done, so its nice to now have played the whole ballet. What I love though about this program is the instruments: there is an alto flute in Daphnis (bravo, alto flute) and there are FOUR saxophones in the Adams, and we all know how I feel about saxophone in an orchestral setting.*

And now, a happy picture:


*I love it. See post from January 17th, 2007.

6 comments:

Hannah said...

Hahaha...this picture is funny! When is it from??? I miss you! I have to go somewhere now but I'll call you later today!

Heather said...

I took it when we were waiting in the Milwaukee airport after driving back from PA in one day and Holly was in the midst of getting her rental car for M&I. We were so tired and sick of being in the car!

The picture that goes along with this one of course is the one of me wearing the striped pj bottoms (with the matching shirt) that look like weird capris since they're so short on me. But you'll NEVER see that picture online! :-)

Hannah said...

Oh how quickly you forget that I have the picture on my computer and also have a blog that I can easily put that picture up :-)

I just have to decide how mad you'll be if I actually do put it up! hehehehehehe

Love you!

Heather said...

OH HANNAH RUTH YOU'D BETTER NOT!

Mary said...

As much as I love that photo of Hannah, I think your blog needs more photos of Finnis & Adelaide!

Heather said...

True. Expect more soon.