Friday, December 04, 2009

Two Events

I've had a 14 hour day every day this entire week, and even though its only 10:30 pm, I'm going to bed in a few minutes. However, I'd like to share two things from my week that I think the blog readership will enjoy.

1. I have been teaching for Brookline Public Schools this semester in their after school, private lesson Extension Program for violin/viola. I have great students who are eager and try hard. One however, although he is cute as a button, is a little more of a challenge for me (doesn't help that his fingernails are very long and quite grimy - especially when I take his instrument from him to tune it), but he is earnest and dedicated. Yesterday afternoon, while he was playing another round of Banana Boat Song, something caught my eye - a small, brown spider was winding his way down, clearly attached at the elbow of this student. Not wanting to freak out the poor boy, I let him finish, went up and swiped subtly underneath his arm in the attempt to detach the spider from said child, then lightly squished the spider on the floor. A spider was apparently living on this kid.

2. I played the first part of Handel's Messiah tonight for a BU Choral Society concert. It was second on the program - the first piece was Britten's Ceremony of Carols, with a harpist, Michael, who is a friend of mine. During intermission, the orchestra went up to get ready to play, and I saw Michael's harp sitting quietly near the wall, clearly out of the way and not bothering anybody, in its blue Lyon and Healy padding. I started warming up, and suddenly (like how the Angel of the Lord came suddenly, although my news is not good tidings of great joy for anybody, least of all Michael), I see four BU Choral Society singers (these are non-music majors) trying to move the harp into the back hallway - and the harp is on the dolly backwards. And they are obviously struggling with this harp - its starting to tip a little. I rush over and tell them they have it on the dolly backwards. The response: "Oh." Sheepishly, they start to turn it around, struggling again. I demand to know where Michael is. They don't know. I advise that they leave it there or find Michael to move it himself. Apparently they were ordered to move it, and to do it quick. I say fine, and proceed to supervise, all the while thinking of Mary Keener and my vast experience in the days when I helped her move her harp.

Life is incredibly busy right now - busier than ever before - and I don't know how I'm going to accomplish everything in the next two weeks, but somehow, it will be done. I look forward to the future days when December, which is suppose to be a month of Christmas joy and holiday spirit, is filled with more of the professional kind of stress (ie just playing concerts and finishing up a semester of teaching) instead of the mad rush of presentations, papers, and juries. After this December 16th, only one more December in school to go, in 2010. I cannot wait.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I'm highly impressed that you kept your composure and were so subtle with the spider incident.

And incredibly proud of your harp moving skills! Harp Hero Heather...

I will never understand why people think it is okay to move harps without permission or supervision of the instrument owner! (as you know...)

Hannah said...

Long fingernails gross me out. And I love the Angel of the Lord comment. I'm at Panera, sitting by myself, and literally laughed out loud. Hang in there! Just over 2 weeks and you'll be in Milwaukee!!