Saturday, April 28, 2007

I just got home from Anaar's recital, and started going through my daily check-up on blogs. I am happy to see Emily V. now has one too! Yay for Emily!

Anyway, she posted a picture of Rostropovich playing cello next to (what looks like - I may be wrong) the Berlin Wall. He has died, and although I am not a cellist and only heard him once, and never met him, I'm suddenly very sad. Brian's story about meeting him reduced me to tears. I'm not sure why I'm reacting this way - but I knew he was an amazing human being and every musician I know respected and admired him.

My Rostropovich story is this: I saw him play with the BSO at my first summer at BUTI, playing Lalo concerto. A couple of my cellist friends went backstage to meet him afterwards, and returned with only wonderful stories and smiles.

On to other things:

This week I have had rehearsals for a gig tomorrow playing with the Marsh Chapel (BU's chapel) Choir. We're doing Bach's Easter and Ascension oratorios. The Easter one though has such happy memories for me. Remember, Kimby and Paul, when we did it with Tom Folan for the Bach festival thing, soph. year? The weekend where Paul went to the hospital and then came back the next night only to throw a fabulous party with Belgian beer?

Good times.

Spring is coming. Can't believe its already been a year since we have all said goodbye.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some of us Spring ended quite a long time ago...like in march. I guess thats one of the sad things about living in texas, we don't get seasons, and the happiness associated with spring...sigh...

and I was really sad about rostropovich too...a lot more than I thought I would be...

Nabir said...

I think the whole Rostropovich thing hit a lot of people harder than they expected (definitely myself included) . . . I guess that says a lot about him.

jeffrey said...

HEATHER BRAUN!! AAAAH! i miss you:( it's good to be blogging though- hope you are having a grand ol' time in Boston