Sunday, August 05, 2007

A more full update.

Thankfully, today was MUCH cooler in Boston than it has been for the past couple days. It has been terrible here - I miss Vermont and its clean, sweetsmelling air and lovely breezes and gorgeous mountains very much. The Vivaldi on Thursday went very very well, and I wore my senior recital outfit - but - and don't be disappointed - wore a black tank top UNDERNEATH the scandalous top. I figure I was lucky enough for nothing to pop out the first time - will never wear it to perform without something underneath ever again. It still looked quite nice, if I do say so myself. That is still my favorite outfit of all time.

I can't believe its August already. Where did the summer go? It seems like only yesterday I was all excited about all the free time I'd have, all the time off to REALLY practice well, the trip to Phoenix and Milwaukee, and the studio class Heidi and I were going to have with some other BU people here for the summer to make sure we really practiced. I probably don't have to tell you that the grand proportion practicing and studio class never happened. I did practice, and have basically figured out the Brahms concerto, but not nearly the way I wanted to, nor did I have one lesson with Peter in June. He's been gone since then, so I'll probably see him a week before school starts, the first time since mid-May.

This past weekend has been depressing. Friday I got home from Vermont and basically just felt pretty down about a lot of things, prompted by the fact that my first boyfriend ever, Tim, got married on Friday. He had asked me LAST July to play for it, and I never called him officially to tell him no OR responded to the invitation (which honestly I feel bad about, but it would have just been weird to be there - boyfriend #2 of mine was the best man). I just looked through some photos on facebook, and it looked like a very nice wedding. I'm not quite sure why I'm depressed about it - we broke up before my junior year of high school, so long ago, and we would have never worked, although we did become very good friends while I was still in high school and at Eastman - I saw him every time I went home, and always had a good time. I am, though, very happy for him - his wife, Staci, is beautiful and sweet (met her at Mayfair - can't ever enter that mall without seeing ONE person from Wisco).

However, the MORE depressing thing about this weekend was the gig I played for yesterday. It was TWO HOURS AWAY - we were a half hour away from TMC - and outdoors. The sun was in my eyes the whole time we played, and twice my music blew over even though I had about 5 clips on it - thats how hard the wind was blowing. Then we played the cocktail hour in a tent that must have been set up right over a large mosquito birthing area, because I now have (and I counted) 9 bites below my ankles (one on my left pinky-toe), 2 on my right arm, 1 on my left, and 1 on my neck that when I scratch looks like a hicky. Lovely. The cellist was awful and kept getting lost through Haydn flute trios. (sigh) Sometimes I feel like a music whore - will do ANYTHING for a check. That is NOT a good thing.

Third depressing thing this weekend - getting hit on at the cafe at the train stop corner yesterday morning. The first time this particular person tried was in May - his son-in-law is a rapper and this guy wants me to teach him music theory and play for some of his songs. I am too happy to announce to the world that I am a violinist - I am so proud of it, but then this kind of thing happens. BOOOOO.

However, my weekend is looking up - I just stopped at Blockbuster on my way home, picked up a movie, and took it to the counter. The worker there informs me that its not on their inventory for some reason, so I get it for free, and have to bring it back on Thursday. Hooray! The movie gods are in my favor. Also, Heidi came by this morning and dropped off a huge fan for the next Boston heat wave, as well as a VERY nice coffee maker. Whoo-hoo!

Time for dinner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss you

Anonymous said...

At least you have wind, where you are.

We have scrapple, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple