Thursday, November 15, 2007

Craig Smith

The last entry was about birth. This one is about death. The cycle of life continues.

Craig Smith, the founder of Emmanuel Music in Boston (the only church in North America to play a Bach cantata EVERY Sunday) died last night at the age of 60. He had diabetes, and had been in declining health for awhile. I had to do emergency babysitting tonight for Adelaide since my sister needed to go to a gathering of his friends and colleagues tonight, and Whit had BPO. She's been a part of Emmanuel for 10 years now, and knew Craig very well. David Hoose and him were very close friends, and he almost cried in orchestra today (as well as was the person to first tell me).

I only worked with Craig twice last year, while playing at Emmanuel on Sundays. I am so happy to have had that opportunity. The Boston music community and the music world has had a great loss.

No comments: