Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Origins

Because I had bought Heidi some ginger body stuff for her birthday in April, I am now on the mailing list for Origins, a beauty store kinda like Clinique but more independent from department stores and such. They also sell a ton of organic products. Happily, I got a postcard a month ago for a free facial and free lip balm. I went in this morning to get it - it felt WONDERFUL. The only problem is that the woman literally used seven different things on my face before even putting make up on. From the first wash till the lotion. Its nuts, the stuff women (and some men) go through to just have clear, healthy skin.

I did get a jar of exfoliation stuff, and it was expensive, even though I got $10 off. I was promised it would last a year, so I sure hope thats true. On my way home, though, I got to thinking.

In order to be as healthy as you can and buy all the right things for your face or body, or even for food, you have to buy organic products, and organic anything is EXPENSIVE. Its almost preordained that the wealthiest people, the ones who can afford to buy the right products that have no chemicals and make you as "pure" as possible, will live the longest, healthiest lives. Anything cheap is full of chemicals that will supposedly kill you early. Obviously, we all die eventually, but while anyone lives, they want to FEEL good, and not be sick, and a lot of the cheap stuff that you have to buy because its the only thing you can afford has so many of those chemicals or what not that will (supposedly) some day give you cancer or make you sick. Today was the first time I really splurged on anything to do with beauty or skincare - I buy Clinique powder, but everything else comes from CVS, and this exfoliation stuff was WAY more expensive than Clinique powder.

Maybe its all a scam; I don't know. I just hope it works.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everything, including organic and "all natural" stuff is made of chemicals.