Monday, October 27, 2008

Happy Reformation Day/Daphnis and Chloe

Because I am a Lutheran girl, I wish everyone a Happy Reformation Day this October 31st. :-) 

Possibly because of the Lutheran-ness, I've never been a huge fan of Halloween. To me, this is just a means of getting to Thanksgiving and Christmas (much superior holidays). However, I must admit that this holiday is more annoying to me since my move to Boston and a drunk dressed up fireman on the T got a little too friendly my first Halloween here. Public transportation here on Halloween is much more worse than after a rousing game between the Red Sox and the Yankees. Prime example: tonight at the sane hour of 8:30 pm, someone threw eggs at the train I was on. Yuck.

This week has been better. Things are finally getting a little less stressful and busy, although now I'm filling up time with practicing instead of rehearsals and concerts, so everyday is still a pretty full day.

This past Monday's orchestra rehearsal was a little hard. We've started Daphnis and Chloe (the entire ballet) for the Symphony Hall concert on Nov 24th. While I have never played the first part, and have only done the second suite (basically the third part of the entire ballet), once we got to the part where the second suite starts, I almost broke down. It has way too much sentimental value to me to slam through it in a bad sight-reading session of the BU orchestra. Both the infamous "French concert" at Eastman (possibly the best orchestra concert I played in while there) and the "hodge-podge" concert at TMC (definitely NOT the best concert, but still pretty wonderful) featured the second suite from Daphnis. As much as I love living in Boston, have made good friends, finally have a teacher who is giving me a hundred percent all the time, and am even working as a professional, I miss Eastman and my time at TMC daily. Daphnis and Chloe brings those memories back with a full force. Once those stupid bird solos started I almost wept openly.

Anyway.

4 comments:

kimberlyfitch said...

Aw, I understand. Sometimes I almost start to cry when I am driving around trying to decide which grocery store to go to.... I miss our communal trips to Wegmans!

AND, I agree about Halloween after living at UCSB - there's a reason that we're No. 1 for both alcohol consumption and STDs (or close to it) in the nation! I'm all for having a good time, but some people just have no sort of respect for themselves or others!!

Hmmph!

Hannah said...

Sad day!!! Don't get sad...get Glad!!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Aw, I remember that concert at Eastman! I miss those days...I never thought I'd be even grumpier now that I'm getting paid to do it. Who knew.

Anonymous said...

I was on that concert! It was amazing...I miss it too.