Thursday, October 02, 2008

Disappointing debate and Dr. Beat

I'm sitting here watching the VP debate, and it is frustrating me to no end. Everything is "Your guy voted this way" and the response is always "No he didn't! Thats a lie!!"

(sigh) I don't get it. Either he did or he didn't. How can there be so much "yes you did" - "no you didn't" back and forth and back and forth and BACK and FORTH? Its on a record - somebody isn't reading the records right! Either you DID or you DIDN'T! THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND! ITS YES OR NO!

Maybe I'm just not used to presidential debates. This is the first debate I've watched and paid attention to (although obviously I've gotten sick of it, now that I'm writing here) for a presidential campaign, and its not even the presidential candidates but the VPs. In any case - its driving me nuts. However, I will say that they seem to be overly nice to each other. Interesting.

I am seriously considering moving to Canada and staying there for the rest of my life. Good grief.

Onto now a different separate, serious, very tragic note:

Dr. Beat, my trusty, loud, rhythmically intricate metronome with twenty buttons that became a dear friend for now 6.5 years, has died. The circuitry is shot. I have simply dropped it too many times; it has been used for too many years; been carried around too many miles. It was my high school graduation gift from Heidi and Whit, and it was used and loved well all through my undergrad and masters years. All those CCE rehearsals, all those orchestra excerpts practiced for TMC and excerpt class to make sure I'm always steady while playing the Scherzo mvt. in Schumann 2, all those hours with a drone to help me play in tune. It has always stayed in my violin case, which means I carried it as much as my violin around. I am actually pretty devastated about this, and will be asking for a new one for Christmas. As silly as that sounds, a simple metronome after a Dr. Beat would be too hard - I have come to depend on it specifically.

If I had a backyard, I would bury it. Since I don't, and that might be a little insane anyway, I'll keep it for awhile for the fond memories.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) Dr. Beat RIP. (hugs)

2) I second the Canada thing.

3) I loved your idea of a summer music festival reality show! People should see what "Band Camp" really is all about!

kimberlyfitch said...

rip Dr. Beat... I don't remember if I told you - I lost mine when I came back from the auditions I did in 2007. My luggage was mishandled, exploded, and I lost Dr. Beat along with the red shirt I wore for the Prokofiev "Overture on Hebrew Themes" concert (Kitty had a matching one). Wahhhh!

Anonymous said...

That is so sad! I will mourn your Dr. Beat with you, Heather. If you want, you can bury it in my back yard. Linda has one too and would be sympathetic. Oh, such loss! You'll always have the memories. . . . .

Hannah said...

So sad! And I love how the death of your Dr. Beat is getting so much attention. Everybody knows how precious one of those is! I too had some encounters with your Dr. Beat and will miss it as well!