Thursday, September 07, 2006

BU is not Eastman when it comes to new music....

....but they seem to think they're incredible.

My orchestra audition was not spectacular.

However, I did scrub the sink, toliet, kitchen, and bathroom floors yesterday. Next project: the living room floor.

I am also a member now FOR CREDIT (imagine that, Ossia!) of the new music ensemble here at BU, called Time's Arrow. Since its a credit, volunteer class, the instruments availible are a little mixed. I am going to list the instruments availible and how many of them there are, so if ANYONE (hint: Paul, David, Kimby, Kitty, Cody, Arthur, Mary, David Plylar - do you read this, Ply? - or ANYONE ELSE) has any ideas let me know!

1. 1 string bass
2. 3 violins (me+2- and one of them plays viola - I did NOT volunteer my viola services after the disaster with Ricardo - whom I saw in Rochester a couple weeks ago - he is the nicest person ever - I digress)
3. 5 - yes, FIVE - flutes
4. 2 pianos
5. 1 clarinet
6. 1 mezzo-soprano
7. 1 soprano

Any ideas?

The end of the first week is near. 15 to go. (sigh)

7 comments:

OhMyTrill said...

there is a credit new music ensemble at eastman...its called Musica Nova.

Anonymous said...

Time's Arrow!!! HAHAHA, what a silly name. I do not know ANYTHING for that kind of ensemble. You are going to have to find a few pieces, and people can play in some of them. What's with all the flutes? Do any of them have bass or alto flutes? That would make things easier. A lot of bass flute stuff was performed at Darmstadt this summer. The pianos help, at least you have a clarinet. No cello? Not good.........You could always do some of Stockhausen's intuitive music!!!

I will think about this and comment more soon. I have to go back to the US tomorrow. I hope Time's Arrow is going in the right direction!

OhMyTrill said...

You should convince them to fly me out there to play some stuff...I'm not kidding.

Anonymous said...

ok, yes, you get credit for musica nova...but its not extra credit on top of esso or phil....here its credit for orchestra AND NEW credit for Time's Arrow.

Anonymous said...

Besides, I didn't mention Musica Nova in the post....and we did so much for Ossia we should have gotten honorary degrees or something, or at least a credit or two.

OhMyTrill said...

true true...but you still need to convince them to fly me out there to play.

Anonymous said...

5 flutes?! bravo alto flute!
Sorry for the delay but I am reading it :) We are now playing Ocean by John Cage. Can't believe 99% of the people here are complaining about it just after the first rehearsal! I still remember Jonanthan's crazy acts at the piano....I miss playing new music with people who actually like new music...aka i miss you all and eastman...
Time's Arrow reminds me of a clock.