Monday, September 01, 2008

Beginning of School - Year 20

Yes, thats right people - this week is my 20th start to a new school year. 

Today was pure hell. Woke up to the sound of car alarms, moving trucks, and the front door of my building opening and slamming shut many, many times. Its Sept 1st, the most terrifying day in Boston, especially in Allston/Brighton. I was told the other day that about 500,000 people are moving in/out in Boston on this day yearly. Being the college town it is, today it lived up to the chaos standard - it took me almost an hour to get to BU because the trains were so backed up that THREE came at the same time after waiting 20 minutes and OF COURSE the one I got on went express to BU Central WITHOUT saying it was going to so I had to walk back for ten minutes to CFA. Got my theory test results - happily, I passed with flying colors, so I have no review for theory required for this degree. Yay for me. That was it for happy news today.

After I got the results I went to registration. BU has a messed up system with all kinds of rules and exceptions. When I first got here two years ago I was incredibly confused. Today wasn't as confusing, but still pretty bad. I have a plan for the next three years of coursework, and I am relatively happy with it. Emily S. and I went up to the lab to finally register in the computers, but we couldn't without an advising code, which is messed up because technically we're new students even though we aren't. Too complicated to type out here. Anyway, about an hour later, after a trip back to the string advisor and the dean's office (TWICE for me) we finally registered and all was well. 

Not really that I was well, though, because by this time I was so fed up, frustrated, and the clock was ticking without any practice time done. I checked email to find out info about all kinds of things filling up my schedule at an alarming rate, and I started to have a slight panic attack, so I left the lab and calmly went and practiced. Of course, as it happens, I cut the fingernail on my third finger too short so the strings were cutting in and making it bleed, and with only an hour done, so I just ignored the blood and kept on playing. 

My orchestra audition is on Thursday, and I have to say, I am more well-prepared for this one than for the last two, so that is good. 

In other non-school related news, I'll be teaching at Exeter up in NH for Heidi this semester while she's on maternity leave. I start next Tuesday - last week we made a trip up to get me acquainted with the area and building I will be teaching in. I am very VERY excited - the experience will be amazing for me - and looking forward to having, if only a little bit, a real "job." Imagine that! 

Molly and I have been rearranging furniture and books in the living room, and its a nice change. The fishies, Couperin and Quantz, are still well, the weather has been nicely mild lately. I prefer it to not be so hot. 

And now, time for a happy picture:
Heidi models with Baba bedecked in blue and black ribbon (from Shelly's wedding).




No comments: