Saturday, April 05, 2008

Organic Cake and Scooping Singers

I am currently listening to Mozart C minor Mass (playing it in a week and half for a Harvard group) and waiting for Emily Stewart's birthday cake to bake for tonight. Its all organic - even the icing, which I made from scratch. I love Whole Foods. I got up early this morning and went the the store for this week's groceries, since I have no time for lunch or dinner at home this week, and will be making food for the day every night before so I don't spend $500 in one week just eating out. (Thats an exaggerated amount, but hey - its expensive around here.)

I have officially, completely decided that I don't appreciate singers who scoop up to every other third note. We finally had the soloists yesterday for the Verdi Requiem (Symphony Hall concert on Monday) and the tenor soloist is starting to grate on my nerves with all this unnecessary scooping. I thought the other three soloists weren't so bad with the scooping, until the soprano has an octave leap marked "pppp" (literally - I have the cue in my part - it is pianississississimo) and gave the biggest one from her middle staff B-flat to her upper octave B-flat. I almost had a heart attack on the spot. Yes, she's a student, so I shouldn't be so harsh. Yes, she has a beautiful voice, and I think will be very successful someday. Yes, I KNOW its Verdi, and the scooping makes it "romantic" and "expressive". In my opinion, however, the tenor and soprano soloists would say a lot more about their vocal control in their performance if they scooped less.

2 comments:

OhMyTrill said...

you are probably just used to playing with all the met singers at Tanglewood

Tatiana said...

Hey Heather! Speaking of singers... Jim was recently accepted at the Boston University Opera Institute, where he'll be for the next 2 years. So, now that you are doing your DMA at BU, you might see him there from time to time... And you might see me, since I'll be occasionally visiting him there. :-)