Friday, July 07, 2006

So the first week of Elektra did not go too badly. I LOVE my standpartner, Cece. She's hilarious and we get along well, which means I can relax and just have a good time. James Levine's beat is STILL the smallest thing EVER. I think its gotten smaller than last year, even. Tonight is the opening night for the BSO, and they're doing Schoenberg Chamber Symphony No. 1 and Beethoven 9. I think I'll sit in the audience for the Schoenberg and then out on the lawn for Beethoven. That is, if it doesn't rain first.

In other news, last night there was a birthday party for a singer. He even convinced the kitchen staff to make him a HUGE bday cake and bring it out to the porch where the party was and where we hang out every night. About an hour into the party I was told that Joshua Bell, who is doing Sibelius with the BSO on Saturday night, was going to show up and party with us. About an hour later, low and behold - there was Joshua Bell. This was slightly weird for me. I know he's just a guy, blah blah blah, and a normal person like everyone else, blah blah blah, but the 1st cd I EVER bought was him doing Bruch and Mendelssohn when I started learning Bruch the winter I turned 14. I listened to it all the time (sorry - Suzuki habits die hard). And last night I met him, shook his hand, and talked to him for about 5 minutes. I don't even remember what we talked about. I know that he makes appearances at parties at Aspen, Marlboro, etc, but still. I had to remind myself about it this morning when I woke up. And now I'll stop blabbing on and on about Joshua Bell. His Sibelius better be good or else.

My quintet almost had a breakdown yesterday. I can't believe we still have to keep going through this till Aug. 6th. WHY can't things be fixed after we rehearse them AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN???????? I know I am not perfect, and I know I probably have the easiest part of the five, but come on. I miss CCE. When we had ta-ing rehearsals, they helped enourmously. When we have them here, they are a complete failure. (sigh) The cellist and I had a heart to heart about it. I'm afraid to say something to the group as a whole, though, especially since once I get my big mouth open, I have a hard time closing it. And then I hurt people and regret it. A lot. Now I'm digressing....

I got sunburned at the beach today. But it was a very good time. Time for laundry!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

kill your violists - I'll find Elaine and we'll be there tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

(sigh) oh, how I wish....