Thursday, October 19, 2006

Post Manchester Tour Entry

The tour got done on Monday morning, and Tatiana and I drove as fast as we could to be back in time for orchestra on Monday at 3:15 (I'm STILL having a terrible time remembering that orchestra is at 3:15 instead of 3:45. Still. Its terrible). However, she decided that Route 2 would be better than Interstate 91, and I'm not sure why it was decided that way, but Route 2 ended up being full of construction. So we were 15 minutes late to orchestra. Oh well.

Otherwise, life is returning to normal. I put together all by myself my new desk last night. My digital camera has offically died, otherwise I would take a picture of my handiwork for you all to see! Its really nice - nothing fancy, but definitely gets the job done. Last night while sitting at the desk with the computer on top I got somewhat nostalgic for Eastman. All the nights of writing papers at 3 am on that computer with Mrs. Mary Keener. And David playing Dvorak sextet with the volume up. And Hong just in general messing around and invading my files. (sigh) Good times. The internet at the apartment is now officially working for both me and Liza now, however, its not quite as fast as I was hoping it would be. DSL is DSL. Cable internet is cable internet. End of story.

I've been getting some good gigs here in Boston. The church where my sister plays a Bach cantata every week has asked me for three more dates through October-November. I'm doing another wedding on Saturday morning (apparently at this beautiful mansion) and have a Christmas choir concert lined up for the first week of December. This will be the only 2nd year in the past 10 that I will not be playing at WLC for their concerts the first weekend in December. It will feel slightly weird. However, its probably good to get the whole $380 for staying here instead of only $50 of the $350 at WLC because I would have to buy a plane ticket. And miss orchestra AGAIN, which would make D.H. pissed off. Again.

Octet is going well, but I miss a smaller sized group. A lot. Adding all those winds and a bass player is quite a challenge for group ensemble.

Its starting to get a little chilly here in Boston. Not bad, but dreary and cold wind. I haven't worn my winter coat yet, and there's been no snow and I don't think the heat is on in the apartment, but soon it shall have to be. This is the time of year where I start to get excited about snow. And to think - if we were all still in Rochester, we'd already have a whole bunch! Go figure.

Peter (my teacher) is wonderful. I've started working harder on the Nielson violin concerto, and its not easy, but I really am starting to love it. And I'm doing Bach b minor partita. I keep hearing Hoe-Young playing it in studio class. I'm not sure why. Anyway, Peter ALSO wants me to start some Ysaye and a Paganini caprice. Oh, and Faure sonata. Ouch. Sara, what else are you doing with K besides Beethoven concerto?

This is a long post. I hadn't written in awhile though. I miss you all so much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But -- I was just in Rochester and there is no snow (yet). But it is wonderfully cold and windy and that kind of cool rainshower type thing! I really miss that kind of weather somehow!!! It's very odd, the weather in Philadelphia is entirely different.

It's true, there's something about people from Wisconsin...