Friday, August 04, 2006

Sessions Rehearsal

This morning was the Sessions dress rehearsal. It did not go spectacularly well.

First, I accidentally turned off my alarm clock in my sleep. This happens every great once in a while, and I KNOW I had set it and turned it on last night, because I never set my alarm for 7:30 except for 9 am dress rehearsals. Second, I can vaguely remember thinking "oh, its raining - thank goodness its raining" after I turned off the alarm before falling back asleep. Anyway - I woke up at 8:15, 5 minutes before I was suppose to meet my group downstairst to head to Ozawa. That put me in a bad mood.

Then, we get to Ozawa. I like Fischer, he's a nice guy, but his perky, smiling face at 9 am after a stressful night of rehearsal till 10:45 pm and then all sorts of other issues happening was not exactly what I needed to see at 8:55 am. Good luck to David at Rice - hopefully he won't have lessons at 9 am with Fischer. If I did, I guarantee I would not be there for very long.

Next, we play the piece. Some things went fine. Other things went better than they have in the past. But yet, once again, so many things just did not work, and it seems no matter how many times we rehearse a certain section, it will never get better. It is doomed to failure. Every time.

While we were playing the second mvt, I noticed something. I don't have people's names in my part. I have their instrument, like "cel", or "vla 1" or "vla 2" or "vln 1". Even last night, when I agreed with Chrissy, the cellist, about a thing we have together, when I went to mark it in my part, I did not put her name, I put her instrument. Usually, by the end of the first week with a new group, I put names instead of instruments. And if you look at the Brahms, Schnittke, or Schumann Piano Quintet parts that are in Sibley Library, my part is full of Kitty, Kim, David, and Jonathan. My Ravel Intro and Allegro part was full of Mary, Paul, Sam, Jeffrey, Kim and David. Even last summer, I had names in everywhere. This is showing me that I have never really enjoyed or loved this group - none of their names are in my part. They did not become friends, they are remaining only colleagues. I am a little sad about it.

We finished the rehearsal, went backstage, and the violists started fighting. The first yelled at the second one, who can barely speak english and was just trying to figure out something.

I will be done with this piece on Sunday morning by 11:30. Thank goodness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If we ever do another piece with trombone and violin together, I will make sure to put your name in my part :0)