Sunday, March 16, 2008

I did finally manage to go to the grocery store. Whole Foods is the best place on earth.

I just got home from seeing The Other Boleyn Girl. I had read the book by Philippa Gregory about a year ago, and while I had enjoyed it, it really is historical fiction, the key word being FICTION. I also have read a lot of biographies on the Tudors, especially Elizabeth I, but also including one about Anne Boleyn I read last summer that was written recently. While the historical fiction novel by Gregory focuses on Anne Boleyn being an evil, incestuous, deceiving woman, the bio that I read shed light on some important information that is not seen very commonly, namely, that most of what we know today about the whole break with the Catholic Church and Anne's trial was written by her enemies. According to this bio, she was a fierce Protestant, knew Martin Luther's writings extensively, and saw an opportunity to change the religion of England.

Ok, obviously, I'm Lutheran, so I was quite attentive at that part of the bio. But the fact that most of what we know today about Anne's convictions and trial were written by her enemies is quite enlightening, and was on my mind as I watched this movie. I think so much of what is assumed today about Anne (ex: she did NOT have 6 fingers on one hand) is exaggerated to such an extent that makes her truly evil. I wish Philippa Gregory had decided to focus on a different side of Anne Boleyn's history instead of the one that has been told for the past four hundred years.

The movie stays true to the novel, of course, being of the same title and having the author help with the screenplay. I enjoyed Natalie Portman's portrayal as Anne very much, but am kinda confused as to why somebody didn't dye Eric Bana's hair red, since Henry VIII had quite reddish hair, as did Elizabeth I.

Spring break is over. This is such a sad day. Tomorrow is the last concert for Cantata Singers, which I am very much looking forward to. The one last night went really well.

Oh, and our rent went up $12.50 a month for me and Molly. This isn't too bad......but I knew it was coming.

No comments: