Sunday, January 13, 2008

Messiah Gig (and other assundry items since returning to Boston).

I had a Messiah gig this morning at a unitarian church. This is what I found in the bulliten, after a brief bio of Handel and history of the piece:

"In many parts of the world it is an accepted pratcice for the audience to stand for the "Hallelujah" chorus. Tradition has it that King George II rose to his feet as the first notes of the triumphant "Hallelujah" chorus rang out. Royal protocol has always demanded that whenver the monarch stands, so does everyone in the monarch's presence. Thus the entire audience stood as well, initiating a tradition that has lasted more than two centuries. It is lost to history the exact reason why the King stood at that point, but the most popular explanations include:

-He was so moved by the performance that he rose to his feet.
-He arrived lat to the performance, and the crowd rose when he finally made an appearance.
-His gout acted up at that precise moment and he rose to ease his pain.
-After an hour of musical performance, he needed to stretch his legs.

I like the third speculation the most.

I've been back in Boston for almost a week now, after a nice stay in Houston with David. We finally saw Rothko Chapel, which at first, I didn't get, but after sitting there quietly for a few moments, it starts to give a sense of peace and contentment, and the paintings begin to have different qualities that are not noticed at first. I liked it. We also figured out his Mac issues, which, surprisingly, were not entirely helped by the Mac Genius guys. They are suppose to know everything, and the three visits to the Mac store clearly showed that they do NOT. However, as David and I discussed, they are quite cute, and therefore, its not so bad to have to keep going back.

As much as I loved the warm weather in Houston, I was quite annoyed by the almost 70-degree weather when I got back to Boston. Its returned to almost normal now, and tomorrow predicts a snowstorm, which I would love. School starts on Wednesday, and my schedule consists of thus:

MWF - Orchestra
Thurs - Baroque violin class

Other than those regularly scheduled items, I have lessons and chamber music (which is Schubert Cello Quintet this semester). I am quite in love with my schedule at the moment.

This is a long post! Oh my goodness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay for snow...and penguins. I like the 3rd one too.