Saturday, February 09, 2008

A lot has happened in the past 24 hours.
I had rehearsal with Molly last night at 6, to go through some Brahms and Beethoven quickly for my audition this morning, and about halfway through Brahms, my shoulder rest fell off. Completely and utterly. Gone. After fiddling with it for awhile, I seemed to have found a way to make it stay. Tried beginning of Brahms again - and as I'm sure you all know, you NEED a good shoulder rest for the first few lines of Brahms concerto. Shifting all over the place. And - the shoulder rest fell off again, this time about midway through the first line.
Panicking profusely, we stopped rehearsing and I went up to have my lesson, scheduled for 6:30. When I get up there, Chaerin, a harpist here, is standing outside Peter's studio looking VERY expectant. I knock, go in, tell him my shoulder rest woes, and before I know it, she's wheeling her harp in. The BSO harp auditions are this week, and she arranged with Peter to go through the Tzigane cadenza in preparation. I figure it'll just take 15 min, so I settle in and listen too. She sounded very good, and I hope she plays well on Monday morning! It was also fun to hear it again - I have fond memories of harp studio class at Eastman with that excerpt! :-)
So. 7 pm rolls around, and there is a knock on the door. A girl with a violin enters, and Peter tells me he has to teach a lesson now and good luck for tomorrow, he'll see me later at the Bach concert, blah blah blah. I just kinda stood there looking so confused for a moment. He completely forgot we had scheduled a lesson for 6:30. Its fine that he forgot, since it would have been my THIRD this week. And I didn't have a shoulder rest anyway.
From there I went to the Bach concert, where Katherine very nicely offered to give me her shoulder rest to borrow for this morning. This was good, because it meant that Heidi did not have to drive hers over to me this morning early, and she has been pretty sick lately. I tried Katherine's for awhile, and I actually really like it. I went down to the Symphony Hall area this afternoon and bought one, as well as the same Wolf one I had before. I have now learned to always have an extra shoulder rest handy.
Ok. This morning, I get up, warmup, run through with Molly, and head to the Marshall Room for my audition. First, they were running 15 min late, so I stood there forever, listening to others, before I got to go in, which I HATE. It just makes me more nervous. I finally go in and play Brahms. Went very smoothly, thanks to Katherine's help! Then Yuri, another teacher here, asks if I have any Bach.
(sigh)
Peter had told me not to worry about anything except Brahms concerto and Beethoven sonata. So no, Yuri, I don't have any Bach. After a moment of bad awkwardness, I play Beethoven and leave. I'm praying Peter helps me out on this one - if he had told me to prepare Bach for today, I would have!
I have also been to the post office today to mail some things, including Holly's bday present. And bought a new shoulder rest. And Brahms clarinet trio for Molly. I tried to deposit a check, but they were out of deposit envelopes - shoot.

No comments: